In this post, I want to show you how to make your own milk. Since people started to get more aware of the milk production industry, more plant-based alternatives are on the market now. I am not going to get into the details of cow milk production but if you want to read more about how your milk is produced and reasons why you should not consume cow milk you can check out these links. http://bit.ly/2qL2Zm2 and http://bit.ly/2rOe8mf
So we stopped drinking milk produced by animals quite a while ago and in the beginning, we struggled because of the high prices of alternatives. Also, we were not really sure what the companies add to the products. So we were looking for alternatives for the almond, soy, rice milk products in the supermarket and we found a cheap and easy solution by making the milk ourselves. All you need is a bag of oatmeal flakes which has a retail price of about 1.5 USD and creates up to 5 liters of milk. Here is how you can produce approximately one liter of milk.
- Soak 1 cup of rolled oats (not instant oatmeal) overnight in water
- Rinse the oats
- Blend the oats with one liter of water on low speed. (if you blend too fast you burn the nutrients)
- Put the pulp in a strainer and let the milk run into a container of your choice
- *Optional: Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to sweeten it
- Keep the pulp to mix it into veggie hamburgers, “meat”balls and other pastries.
That’s it! You can also try almond or cashew milk with the same concept. It is a bit more expensive but also way tastier.
Find the best vegan restaurants anywhere in the world with the HappyCow! app.